Sunset in Columbus last weekend
Photo above: sunset over the Target parking lot. Beauty in the simplest of places!
In January I introduced the 2012 New Year’s All Year Challenge, in which I made broad “endpoint” goals for the year and explained that each month I will make specific small goals that are stepping stones to my endpoint aims. Each month I will also reflect on the previous month’s goals and efforts.
- Health: get enough sleep
- Finances: budget and stick to it
- Relationships: try to balance relationships with work in a good way
- Wedding: BOOK A PHOTOGRAPHER and go bridesmaid dress shopping
- Career: stay on top of to-do list and fundraising for swimming
- Self-enrichment: take time to a read a fun book or listen to history podcasts
Health: I really struggled with getting enough sleep this month. Partly because of all that I had to do, partly because I was worrying a lot so I had trouble sleeping. Either way, I did my best. For the most part, I think I did okay. Hopefully I can do better in November. Finances: I budgeted and stuck to it pretty well! Definitely something I plan to keep up. Relationships: I did my best to balance seeing friends, family, and Dan and keeping up with work. I think I did decently. It’s hard because I love spending time with the people I love, but I also don’t want to fall behind on work. Wedding: A photographer has FINALLY been booked!!! Dan took the reins and settled a contract with our first-choice photographer. I’m so relieved and excited! My sister Jackie, who is my maid of honor/only bridesmaid, and I went dress shopping this month. We didn’t find a dress that we liked at the store we looked at, but we got better ideas what we wanted. Career: I am doing better with staying on top of things, though there is still so much to do all the time! And I am enjoying it more again now that I have a bit more of a rhythm. Self-enrichment: I travel every other weekend to visit Dan (we’re in different cities until we get married) and I look forward to listening to Stuff You Missed in History Class on the rides. I’ve also started reading for fun again, as a way to get my mind off my never-ending to-do list.
- Health: make attending the group exercise classes I enjoy a priority and don’t feel guilty about using that time for exercise instead of work! Also consume less caffeine.
- Finances: budget and stick to it; meet monthly savings goal
- Relationships: make sure I thank those in my life for the ways they enrich it
- Wedding: Ask for help with planning and start figure out best florist/flower option
- Career: reflect on how my first quarter of teaching went and make/implement plans on how to improve the second; start swim season off on a great note with the students, continue working on fundraisers, and get all home meet preparations done well ahead of time
- Self-enrichment: schedule regular pockets of time to myself to unwind (read a book for fun, bake, cook, watch a movie without also grading, BLOG, etc.) and don’t feel guilty about doing so!
- Recipes I want to try: Sally’s rum french toast with maple syrup rum, cinnamon biscuits, avocado apple and arugula salad, banana birthday cake, Lucky Charms treats, all of these recipes with blood oranges
- Great article on the new buildings on campus at my alma mater, BGSU, and what it means for the state of Ohio.
- Awesome apps for book lovers.
- Interesting post about Irish wedding traditions.
- I might need to try some of these Hunger Games-inspired nail polishes.
- Happy 100th Birthday to the Girl Scouts of America! (well, it was Monday. But still!)
- I’m in love with this series on Carrots ‘n’ Cake called Blog Dogs. Similarly, tips for photographing your pet!
- The best 35 cameos in movie history.
- Encyclopaedia Britanica is no longer releasing print books.
- The ten funniest comedic lady tweets of the week.
- I’ll definitely be checking out this jewelry company, 31 bits, that works with women in Northern Uganda.
- Interesting article on earning money through blogging.
- I definitely want to try out some of these trainer-favorited abs exercises, as well as these leg and arms workouts!
- Favorite Hello Giggles posts of the week: 1, 2, 3, 4
- Favorite weddings of the week: 1, 2, 3
P.S. Happy St. Patrick’s Day : )
First three photos:
My friend Elizabeth’s cute papillon puppy, Rosie (she’s 2.5 pounds!); Madison in a basket of blankets; cuddling with my family’s dog Sasha while watching Wheel of Fortune
with my parents. Middle three photos:
fantastic Melt Quesadilla appetizer Dan & I shared on our first trip to Melt Bar & Grilled
; my delicious BBQ chicken grilled cheese from Melt; yummy
cake from Resch’s Bakery
, courtesy of my future-in-laws, to celebrate Dan & I’s engagement (and in our wedding colors!). Last three photos:
Dan & I before his indoor soccer game; Dan knocking down an opponent player while playing; booty from my weekend trip to Target.
Sorry I’ve been a bit absent lately. (I also apologize if there are formatting issues while viewing this post – some browsers aren’t displaying it correctly) The end of the swim season accompanied with subbing and traveling often has taken some toll on my spare time, which has been spent with family and friends with little leftover time for blogging. What have you all been up to lately?
*If for some reason you are having trouble leaving a comment, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a comment on Beagle and Bear’s Facebook page. Thanks for your help with this issue!