Last January, I introduced the 2012 New Year’s All Year Challenge, in which I made broad “endpoint” goals for the year and explained that each month I would make specific small goals that are stepping stones to my endpoint aims. Each month I also reflected on the previous month’s goals and efforts. I recently reflected on the 2012 challenge, and I believe it went well. I didn’t meet all of my endpoint goals 100%, but I made progress on each and every one of them, which to me means the challenge was a success and worth the time I devoted to it. And, of course, inspired me to do it again this year!
So, since I am doing the challenge again, there are two steps I must take. First, I have to identify the major aspects of my life right now that I want to focus on, and second, I have to make endpoint goals for them. For 2013, I will focus on the same areas as last year: health, finances, relationships, wedding planning (through July, after which Dan and I WILL BE MARRIED!!!), career, and self-enrichment. My 2013 endpoint goals are:
- Health: meet goal weight benchmarks I have set; practice healthy habits
- Finances: meet savings goals; spend meaningfully, not impulsively
- Relationships: strive for balance, honesty, and kindness at all times
- Wedding: finish planning and then carry out a wedding full of meaning, without excess, and without shortsightedness toward others
- Career: do my best at my current position, continue pursuing full-time classroom positions, and build the swim program further
- Self-enrichment: learn about anxiety more and implement further understanding on coping with it; specifically devote time to hobbies and activities that bring me joy
I’m very excited for these endpoint aims. I feel that they are challenging, but not overly ambitious. I learned a lot from last year’s challenge and I’m ready to knock this year out of the park!
That being said, my goals for January are:
- Health: work out at least 150 minutes per week; stay hydrated
- Finances: BUDGET and read 2 personal finance articles a week
- Relationships: stay up-to-date/in contact with everyone
- Wedding: So much to do! Basically carry over from December…Figure out florist/flower options and take care of it, map out honeymoon options, book a place for our picnic reception, send out save the dates for wedding day and picnic, and look for bridesmaid and flower girl dresses.
- Career: be the most positive and helpful presence possible in the buildings I am in; stay prepared and ahead for swim planning
- Self-enrichment: set aside at least two hours a week to myself to log off everything & relax, NO guilt!
Have you set any goals for 2013, or just set any goals in general? What are your plans to reach them?