In January I introduced the 2012 New Year’s All Year Challenge, in which I made broad “endpoint” goals for the year and explained that each month I will make specific small goals that are stepping stones to my endpoint aims. Each month I will also reflect on the previous month’s goals and efforts.
- Health: get enough sleep
- Finances: budget and stick to it
- Relationships: try to balance relationships with work in a good way
- Wedding: BOOK A PHOTOGRAPHER and go bridesmaid dress shopping
- Career: stay on top of to-do list and fundraising for swimming
- Self-enrichment: take time to a read a fun book or listen to history podcasts
Health: I really struggled with getting enough sleep this month. Partly because of all that I had to do, partly because I was worrying a lot so I had trouble sleeping. Either way, I did my best. For the most part, I think I did okay. Hopefully I can do better in November. Finances: I budgeted and stuck to it pretty well! Definitely something I plan to keep up. Relationships: I did my best to balance seeing friends, family, and Dan and keeping up with work. I think I did decently. It’s hard because I love spending time with the people I love, but I also don’t want to fall behind on work. Wedding: A photographer has FINALLY been booked!!! Dan took the reins and settled a contract with our first-choice photographer. I’m so relieved and excited! My sister Jackie, who is my maid of honor/only bridesmaid, and I went dress shopping this month. We didn’t find a dress that we liked at the store we looked at, but we got better ideas what we wanted. Career: I am doing better with staying on top of things, though there is still so much to do all the time! And I am enjoying it more again now that I have a bit more of a rhythm. Self-enrichment: I travel every other weekend to visit Dan (we’re in different cities until we get married) and I look forward to listening to Stuff You Missed in History Class on the rides. I’ve also started reading for fun again, as a way to get my mind off my never-ending to-do list.
- Health: make attending the group exercise classes I enjoy a priority and don’t feel guilty about using that time for exercise instead of work! Also consume less caffeine.
- Finances: budget and stick to it; meet monthly savings goal
- Relationships: make sure I thank those in my life for the ways they enrich it
- Wedding: Ask for help with planning and start figure out best florist/flower option
- Career: reflect on how my first quarter of teaching went and make/implement plans on how to improve the second; start swim season off on a great note with the students, continue working on fundraisers, and get all home meet preparations done well ahead of time
- Self-enrichment: schedule regular pockets of time to myself to unwind (read a book for fun, bake, cook, watch a movie without also grading, BLOG, etc.) and don’t feel guilty about doing so!